Friday, March 30, 2007

One Night

It was winter and cold. I don’t remember what month but the snow was thick, crunchy, and blue from the moon’s light. I remember the feel of the air freezing inside my nostrils with each breath I took into my tired lungs.
Not a cloud in the sky to keep the earth warm. The very cold of space was starting to wrap its hands around me. I could easily move inside but I don’t. I am content to be in the company of Orion.
The only sounds are my slow breaths and the crunch of the snow under my slow steps.
I think of faces that I’ll never see again and voices I’m starting to forget.
I blink slowly.
My eyes are dry. My lungs burn with the cold, and my fingertips. My joints tight… I move inside and into a bed… warmed by my wife… sweet and soft… sweet and soft.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the boy who used to cry when I made him write a sentence. That was beautiful, Patrick.

5:49:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick Knable said...

thanks mom.

4:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home